Footy Extras

Eredivisie shot-stopper told to ignore Arsenal interest

Dutch icon Wesley Sneijder has urged Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana not to join Arsenal, saying the north Londoners have ‘slipped’ in recent years, and feels the star should be playing for a European giant.

The Cameroon international is set to leave Amsterdam this summer and has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in a bargain deal, with Onana having just one year left on his current deal.

Andre is also ineligible to play until November because of a doping ban, with the Court of Arbitration for Sport announcing this week that his appeal had been partially successfully and the star’s ban reduced from 12 months to nine.

Arsenal could sign Andre for around £5 million, but Wesley – who came through the Ajax youth sector before moving to Real Madrid – believes a transfer to one of Spain’s big two would be a better fit.

‘I expect him to leave. I think he is a great goalkeeper. One of the top in Europe? Yes, certainly,’ he told Veotbal International Live on Friday.

‘I’d rather not see him at Arsenal. It’s a great club, but they have slipped in recent years. I’d rather see him play at Real Madrid or Barcelona.’

Mikel Arteta is said to be ready to sell Bernd Leno and bring in the player as his replacement, with the keeper seen as a better fit for the brand of football – namely playing out from the defence – he wants Arsenal to play.

He was personally recommended by goalkeeping coach Inaki Cana, who knows Onana from their time together at Barcelona’s academy.

Ajax shot-stopper interests Arsenal but they face obstacle

Arsenal are allegedly interested in signing Ajax shot-stopper Andre Onana.

The north Londoners are waiting to hear about the player’s appeal after he was banned for failing a drugs test.

According to a report from Goal, Arsenal are tracking the former Barcelona youngster but his availability is a possible stumbling block.

The Cameroon international is currently serving a one-year suspension for a doping violation which runs until February 2022.

He has launched an appeal against the aforementioned ban which will be heard in June. The banned substance Furosemide was found in the player’s urine in October.

Ajax stated Onana had accidentally taken one of his wife’s pills while feeling unwell. Andre confirmed he believed the medication to be a ‘simple aspirin’.

The 25-year-old star described it as a ‘human mistake’, saying the ban imposed upon him was ‘excessive and disproportionate’.

The player went on to say he is ‘strongly against doping and unsportsmanlike conduct’ and promised to clear his name.

The Gunners are monitoring the appeal and reportedly lining up a swoop for the stopper if he earns a reprieve and wins his appeal.

Onana’s contract runs until June 2022 and de Joden could be willing to sell him if they receive a bid of at least £7 million.

Ajax shot-stopper interests Arsenal but Gunners face obstacle

Arsenal are allegedly interested in signing Ajax shot-stopper Andre Onana.

The north Londoners are waiting to hear about the player’s appeal after he was banned for failing a drugs test.

According to a report from Goal, Arsenal are tracking the former Barcelona youngster but his availability is a possible stumbling block.

The Cameroon international is currently serving a one-year suspension for a doping violation which runs until February 2022.

He has launched an appeal against the aforementioned ban which will be heard in June. The banned substance Furosemide was found in the player’s urine in October.

Ajax stated Onana had accidentally taken one of his wife’s pills while feeling unwell. Andre confirmed he believed the medication to be a ‘simple aspirin’.

The 25-year-old star described it as a ‘human mistake’, saying the ban imposed upon him was ‘excessive and disproportionate’.

The player went on to say he is ‘strongly against doping and unsportsmanlike conduct’ and promised to clear his name.

The Gunners are monitoring the appeal and reportedly lining up a swoop for the stopper if he earns a reprieve and wins his appeal.

Onana’s contract runs until June 2022 and de Joden could be willing to sell him if they receive a bid of at least £7 million.

Arsenal eager to strike £7m deal to land former Barcelona teen

Arsenal are considering a swoop for Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana amid speculation about Bernd Leno’s future.

The Gunners are prepared to address their goalkeeping situation again in the summer and Onana has emerged as a target.

The Gunners were first interested in a move in the player ahead of the January transfer window when the club were looking to strengthen the position.

Alex Runarsson had failed to make an impression after his arrival at the club and Gunners senior members recognised they needed a better replacement for Emiliano Martinez.

The 25-year-old Andre fit the bill but funds weren’t available to seal the signing, with Arsenal loaning Mat Ryan instead. However, they are keen on resurrecting that interest again, according to Goal, with a summer deal set to cost around £7 million.

A decision on whether Arsenal will attempt to land him will be postponed until June, though, with the star currently serving a one-year suspension.

He s appealing a doping ban after Onana was found to have banned substance Furosemide in a urine sample.

He claims he failed the out-of-competition doping test because he mistakenly took medicine prescribed to his wife.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will hear the former Barcelona ace’s appeal in June, with the verdict due the same month.

Andre’s lawyers are confident the ban will be reduced to just eight months and that could pave the way for a transfer to the Emirates.

Liverpool receive big boost ahead of UCL match

Ajax look likely to be without shot-stopper Andre Onana for their Champions League clash with Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool later this month.

RTL report that the Cameroonian star has tested positive for COVID-19 on international duty, meaning the keeper now has to self-isolate for two weeks.

With the Anfield outfit making the trip to the Netherlands on October 21st, that would mean Andre is unavailable.

The star has become a key man for Ajax in the latest years, helping them come within seconds of reaching the UCL final back in 2018/19.

There is no doubt that this would act as a boost to the Premier League champions, although it is sad to see any star testing positive currently.

The Reds could be given a stern test by Erik ten Hag’s outfit at the Johan Cruyff Arena, with the Dutch giants mirroring the Reds’ start to the league campaign, winning three matches and losing one in the Dutch top-flight, Eredivisie.

Andre’s expected absence means the hugely experienced Maarten Stelekenburg could come into the team, but the 38-year-old star’s lack of football means the club should aim to test him at every opportunity.

Maarten made only 26 appearances in four years for Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton before returning to Ajax, so his potential rustiness could play into the English heavyweights’ hands.

Elsewhere, Liverpool have purchased 17-year-old sensation Marcelo Pitaluga from Fluminense and the goalkeeper has already started training at their Melwood base.

The Brazil Under-17 World Cup-winning goalkeeper was on the bench for two Fluminense matches in Serie A last season.

Chelsea handed chance to sign ex-Barcelona stopper

Chelsea have allegedly been offered the chance to sign Ajax shot-stopper Andre Onana this summer.

The Blues have already been the busiest club in the transfer market thus far, spending more than £200 million to bring in seven players despite the financial knock-on effect of the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, they are still thought to be on the observation post for a new goalkeeper after Kepa Arrizabalaga recorded the lowest save percentage in the top-flight last season.

The Blues have been mentioned with the likes of Edouard Mendy, Sergio Romero, Jan Oblak, Gianluigi Donnarumma and Mike Maignan, and the Evening Standard claims that they have also been offered Onana.

The 24-year-old goalkeeper has previously been linked with the likes of Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona courtesy of his performances for Ajax.

The former Barcelona youngster made 39 appearances in all competitions last season, keeping 15 clean sheets.

Elsewhere, Chelsea new players Hakim Ziyech and Ben Chilwell will miss the start of the PL season in a real blow to Frank Lampard, according to reports.

The club have been ruthless in the summer transfer market – signing Ziyech (£37m), Ben Chilwell (£50m), Kai Havertz (£89m), Timo Werner (£53m), while also completing free transfers for Malang Sarr and Thiago Silva.

However, according to The Athletic – Chelsea supporters will have to wait to see both Chilwell and Ziyech in action after they are set to miss the start of the season – in which they begin away at Brighton on Monday – due to injury.

Chelsea could move for highly-rated Eredivisie pair

Chelsea are reportedly lining up Ajax stars Nicolas Tagliafico and Andre Onana as cheaper alternatives to Ben Chilwell and Jan Oblak.

The Blues are looking to strengthen their squad with a host of new signings this summer but currently look set to pay over the odds for their top targets.

Chelsea have already secured the signings of Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech, with the pair arriving at the club for a combined total of £86.4 million.

Frank Lampard has now turned his attention to playmaker Kai Havertz, with the German star already agreeing to personal terms ahead of a move.

Blues chief Marina Granovskaia is believed to be in negotiations with Bayer Leverkusen regarding a transfer fee, but Kai is not likely to be the last big-name targeted.

The Blues are desperate for defensive reinforcements this summer with left-back a priority, while Frank also wants to replace No1 Kepa Arrizabalaga.

The Daily Mirror acknowledge Bn and Jan as first-choice signings but suggest hefty price tags may force Chelsea to shop around.

Leicester could demand as much as £80 million for Chilwell, which would match the fee Manchester United paid for Harry Maguire last year when they made the centre-half the world’s most expensive defender.

And the latest report claims Atletico Madrid management value Oblak at £100 million, although there have been suggestions his xit clause could even be as much as £110 million.

Nicolas and Andre are therefore considered much more affordable options, valued at around £22.5 million and £30 million respectively.

Bundesliga club pave the way for Chelsea for transfer of Eredivisie star

Chelsea are in pole position to land Andre Onana after Bayer Leverkusen pulled out of the race to snap up the Ajax star.

Kepa Arrizabalaga became the most expensive shot-stopper in history when he completed a £71.6 million move from Athletic Bilbao to the Blues back in 2018 but the 25-year-old looks set for the exit door at the club.

Frank Lampard gave Arrizabalaga a lifeline when he took over from Maurizio Sarri last year but Chelsea’s head coach has fast run out of patience with the player after a series of high-profile errors across the 2019/20 term.

Burnley’s Nick Pope and Atletico Madrid star Jan Oblak are both firmly on Lampard’s radar and the Blues have also been keeping close tabs on Ajax man Onana, who is reportedly keen to join the Blues.

It’s understood the west Londoners have been in discussions with Onana’s agents in the latest months ahead of a possible move for the 24-year-old.

But the Blues have not been alone in pursuing a deal for Andre, with Leverkusen closely monitoring the ‘keeper’s situation in the lead-up to the summer transfer market.

According to Kicker, though, the Bundesliga side have pulled out of this summer’s race to bring in the Cameroon international after having a €20 million (£18 million) offer rejected by Ajax.

Leverkusen sporting director Simon Rolfes denied that a proposal had even been made for the stopper, telling the publication:

‘Lukas [Hradecky], played a good season. We have a good keeper. Onana is not an issue.’

Another Leverkusen senior figure Rudi Voller added: ‘This is not an issue at all. This is absolute nonsense. We have an absolute top goalkeeper with Lukas.’

Chelsea still eye Ajax No1 with Eredivisie club reduce asking price by €30m

For some time now, it’s seemed the Dutch media have hyped interest in goalkeeper Andre Onana beyond what it actually is.

Some of the biggest sides in European football have been touted with an interest, yet it’s often felt like the states were manufactured to push up the Ajax man’s perceived value.

De Telegraaf state there’s an army of teams all chasing Onana’s signature this summer. Those clubs are named as Frank Lampard’s side, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain.

According to the Dutch newspaper, prior to the coronavirus, Ajax wanted €50 million to allow Onana to move this summer. Now a fee of €30 million is considered more realistic.

That does not make a great deal of sense if Andre is really wanted by the European clubs mentioned, then slashing his asking price by 40 per cent would be unnecessary.

De Telegraaf say Barcelona can not pay the €30m, and that Chelsea ‘do not want to’ meet that fee yet, and would only sign Andre if Kepa Arrizabalaga leaves on loan or permanently.

De Telegraaf present Bayer Leverkusen as a serious variant, which seems likelier. It’s stated the Bundesliga outfit have offered €20 million plus bonuses, which isn’t considered high enough.

Meantime, Chelsea allegedly remain focused on landing Ben Chilwell from Leicester City, in spite of cheaper left-back alternatives being available.

England international Ben is Frank Lampard’s top target, but he has another four years to run on his deal and Leicester are holding out for a huge fee.

That has led to states that Chelsea may instead go for either Marc Cucurella of Getafe, Ajax’s Nicolas Tagliafico and Porto’s Alex Telles, each of whom are available for under £30 million.

According to Goal, however, the West London giants are still prioritising a move for Ben, even if it means paying in excess of £80m.

Bundesliga club pave the way for Chelsea for Andre Onana deal

Chelsea are in pole position to land Andre Onana after Bayer Leverkusen pulled out of the race to snap up the Ajax star.

Kepa Arrizabalaga became the most expensive shot-stopper in history when he completed a £71.6 million move from Athletic Bilbao to the Blues back in 2018 but the 25-year-old looks set for the exit door at the club.

Frank Lampard gave Arrizabalaga a lifeline when he took over from Maurizio Sarri last year but Chelsea’s head coach has fast run out of patience with the player after a series of high-profile errors across the 2019/20 term.

Burnley’s Nick Pope and Atletico Madrid star Jan Oblak are both firmly on Lampard’s radar and the Blues have also been keeping close tabs on Ajax man Onana, who is reportedly keen to join the Blues.

It’s understood the west Londoners have been in discussions with Onana’s agents in the latest months ahead of a possible move for the 24-year-old.

But the Blues have not been alone in pursuing a deal for Andre, with Leverkusen closely monitoring the ‘keeper’s situation in the lead-up to the summer transfer market.

According to Kicker, though, the Bundesliga side have pulled out of this summer’s race to bring in the Cameroon international after having a €20 million (£18 million) offer rejected by Ajax.

Leverkusen sporting director Simon Rolfes denied that a proposal had even been made for the stopper, telling the publication:

‘Lukas [Hradecky], played a good season. We have a good keeper. Onana is not an issue.’

Another Leverkusen senior figure Rudi Voller added: ‘This is not an issue at all. This is absolute nonsense. We have an absolute top goalkeeper with Lukas.’