Footy Extras

Chelsea failed to sign 25-year-old La Liga attacker in January

Chelsea have begun talks with La Liga giants Barcelona to secure services of Frenkie de Jong ahead of Manchester United, according to the latest reports.

The 20-times English champions have been pushing to sign De Jong all summer with Erik ten Hag identifying the Netherlands international as one of their main targets.

An €85 million deal (£71m) was agreed between the Red Devils and Barcelona earlier this summer, however, the Dutchman is believed to be reluctant to join Ten Hag’s team, primarily following to their lack of Champions League football.

La Liga giants are open to selling De Jong as they need to strengthen their financial situation having spent spent over €150m (£125.3m) on adding Raphinha, Robert Lewandowski and Jules Kounde ahead of the 2022/23 season, while Andreas Christensen and Franck Kessie have also arrived on free transfers.

However, De Jong’s preference has been to stay at Nou Camp, while the 25-year-old is also refusing to depart from the team until his settle his unpaid salary dispute is settled after he agreed to defer around €17m (£14m) in wages to help the teams financial situation.

According to The Athletic, the Blues are now in talks with Cataln giants for De Jong and are ‘optimistic’ that an agreement can be reached.

Spanish newspaper Sport also claims that the Blues are in talks with Barcelona and the Spanish team are asking for an €80m (£66.8m) fee for De Jong.

The report also suggests that De Jong could now change his mind about staying at Barcelona following to Chelsea being able to offer Champions League football.

Chelsea, meanwhile, have now bid in excess of £50m for Brighton star Marc Cucurella.

Chelsea tried to sign 25-year-old EPL star in the summer

Chelsea will consider a move for Man Utd and Arsenal transfer target Kyle Walker-Peters after finalising a deal for Brighton full-back Marc Cucurella.

The West London giants have moved ahead of Man City in the race to sign Spain international Cucurella.

The Citizens appeared set to bring the left-back to the Etihad, however, the deal stalled over Brighton’s asking price and Thomas Tuchel’s side are now favourites to get the deal done.

Chelsea signed Kalidou Koulibaly earlier last month, however, Thomas Tuchel is still keen on to strengthen his defensive options ahead of the 2022/23 season.

According to the latest reports Chelsea joined Man Utd and Arsenal in the race to sign Walker-Peters from Southampton star internally.

Walker-Peters has played 72 games for the Saints over the past three campaigns and was said to be attracting interest from Arsenal and Man Utd.

As United and Arsenal began to be rumoured with Walker-Peters, reports suggested that Southampton would consider offers of £40m for their defender.

Chelsea begin their 2022-23 Premier League season on Saturday, however, will be working on transfers up until the September 1 deadline.

Last month, Tuchel said the Blues had an ‘urgent need’ for new additions, telling reporters: ‘I look at the last season and parts of the game where we struggled, parts of the season where we struggled, and then we got sanctioned and players left us and some players are trying to leave us, and this is where it is.

‘So we had an urgent appeal for quality players, a huge amount of quality players. We got two quality players but we are not competitive like this. Unfortunately you could see it today.’

Chelsea 29-year-old attacker linked with surprise move to EPL rivals

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly planning to make a move for Chelsea forward Hakim Ziyech.

Spurs have added seven players to their team in the summer, however, they are still looking to make further additions before the transfer window ends on September 1.

Antonio Conte was previously keen to secure the services of AS Roma playmaker Nicolo Zaniolo, however, the player decided to stay in Serie A, which has led to Spurs considering alternatives.

According to Algemeen Dagblad, Tottenham have identified Ziyech as a possible transfer target, with the Moroccan currently out of favour at Stamford Bridge.

Ziyech was an unused substitute for the Blues first two Premier League appearances this term, while he featured for less than half an hour in the loss to Leeds United on Sunday.

The 29-year-old attacking midfielder has been rumoured with a return to Ajax, however, Spurs are prepared to begin talks about a possible move this week.

Meanwhile, RB Leipzig are reportedly interested in securing the services of Trevoh Chalobah from Chelsea.

The 23-year-old defender featured 31 times for the West London giants last term, however, he has fallen down the pecking order this term following the arrivals of Marc Cucurella and Kalidou Koulibaly.

Chelsea are not believed to allow Chalobah to leave on a permanent transfer, however, they are open to a loan exit for the 23-year-old centre-back.

Inter Milan are keen to bring the defender to San Siro, however, according to the Daily Mail they will face stiff competition from RB Leipzig who have joined the race to secure the services of Chalobah on loan.

Chelsea anchorman speaks out about teams decision to sack Thomas Tuchel

Chelsea vice-captain Jorginho believes that he and his teammates and himself are to blame for the sacking of Thomas Tuchel.

The Blues announced last week that they had parted company with the German, the day after his side suffered a 1-0 away loss in the Champions League against Dinamo Zagreb.

Tuchel departs Stamford Bridge after winning only three of his opening seven matches as the Blue’s head-coach this season, and Jorginho admits the team are as much to blame for their poor start to the season as the 49-year-old.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League match with Red Bull Salzburg, Brazilian-born Italy international midfielder said: “Of course, we’re a team. So it’s not one person responsible for what happened.

“We are a team and a group on the pitch. Of course, it’s our responsibility what happened.”

The midfielder added: “We tried to do what we could and where it could go better. Unfortunately, it wasn’t working and the challenge now is to rebuild confidence.

“It was a surprise for us. There is always talking about what happened but now we have games coming and life is quick, so we don’t have much time to stay here thinking. We talk and then we need to concentrate on what we do.”

Tuchel claimed the Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup during his reign at Stamford Bridge.

Paolo Maldini reveals Chelsea interest in explosive Portuguese forward

AC Milan technical director Paolo Maldini has addressed rumours of a potential exit for Rafael Leao, who has attracted interest from Man City and Chelsea

The 23-year-old forward impressed last term with 14 goals and 12 assists in 42 appearances, while he has already scored three goals in six Serie A matches this season.

Despite starting the current campaign in a positive manner, the Portuguese forward was rumored to move away from Serie A in the summer after Chelsea reportedly had an €80m (£69m) bid turned down late in the transfer window.

While Maldini has previously claimed that AC Milan would not sell the 23-year-old below his €150m (£130m) release clause, talks have stalled over a new deal.

The ex-Milan captain has addressed the Blues pursuit of Leao, who has two years left on his current deal.

As per Fabrizio Romano, Maldini said: “Chelsea haven’t sent any official bid for Leão — but they made a verbal proposal… and we rejected, of course.

“He knows that staying here is the best way to improve. We want to do great things with Rafa Leao in our project.”

Despite rejecting Chelsea’s approach, Milan could come under pressure to sell Leao next summer with Man City believed to be considering a move.

The Portugal international featured in his club’s 3-1 Champions League victory over Dinamo Zagreb on Wednesday where he provided an assist for Alexis Saelemaekers’s goal.

AS Roma keen on to agree deal for Chelsea defensive rock

AS Roma are reportedly lining up a January loan move for Chelsea defender Trevoh Chalobah.

The 23-year-old centre-back was heavily linked with a switch away from Stamford Bridge over the summer, however, the window closed with the defender remaining in London.

Chalobah has another four years left to run on his current deal with the West London club, having signed a new deal last November, however, there is currently uncertainty surrounding his future at the club.

The ex-England Under-21s international has only featured once this term, playing the full 90 minutes against Leicester City in the English top-tier on August 27.

Chalobah was also an unused substitute against Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League last week, which proved to be Graham Potter’s first match in charge of the team.

According to Football Transfers, the 23-year-old star is likely to depart from the Blues on loan during the January window, and AS Roma are currently at the head of the queue for his services, with the Italian giants head coach Jose Mourinho keen on a deal.

The report suggests that Aston Villa had been interested in his services over the summer, however, Steven Gerrard’s side are no longer in the running, with AS Roma the front runners at this stage.

Inter Milan and AC Milan are also believed to have looked at signing Chalobah during the recent transfer window before moving on to other targets.

Chelsea set to renew interest in signing of €150m-rated Portuguese forward

Chelsea are reportedly still keen on to sign Rafael Leao and are preparing to return for the Portuguese forward “in the coming months”.

The West London giants were linked with the 23-year-old in the latter stages of the last summer transfer window, however, Inter Milan are believed to have made it clear that he would not be available for under his release clause of €150m (£130m).

According to Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio, Serie A giants”sent back” an offer from the Blues in the final moments of the summer market, with the Serie A giants directors Paolo Maldini and Frederic Massara turned down the bid.

“In a market where all clubs have to reckon with costs and budgets to keep in order, AC Milan have sent back a €70m (£61.4m)-€80m (£70.2m) offer presented by Chelsea,” Di Marzio told Tuttomercatoweb.

“In the last days of the market, in fact, the English club tried to make the Rossoneri ‘waver’ by putting a very rich offer on the table: a proposal, however, declined by Maldini and Massara.

“The latter [Massara] will now, however, have to try to solve the knot linked to the contract, with the 1999-born striker due to expire in 2024 and with whom there is still no economic agreement for renewal. Chelsea, and not only Chelsea, [are] an interested spectator and ready to return to the charge in the coming months.”

Rafael Leao has been in fine form for the Italian champions at the start of the 2022-23 season, founding back of the net three times and providing six assists in eight games in all competitions.

The 23-year-old attacker has three goals and three assists in six Serie A appearences, while he has contributed two assists in Milan’s Champions League games with Red Bull Salzburg and Dinamo Zagreb.

Leao enjoyed a strong 2021-22 campaign for his Serie A team, founding back of the net 14 times and providing 12 assists in 42 games in all competitions, which has allegedly led to a number of clubs expressing an interest.

Chelsea submit offer to sign 29-year-old Atletico Madrid star

Chelsea are reportedly planning to make a move for Spanish forward, Alvaro Morata this summer.

After allowing Timo Werner and Romelu Lukaku to join RB Leipzig and Inter Milan respectively, the West London giants are looking to strengthen their attacking line before the transfer window ends on September 2.

The Blues are allegedly in advanced talks with La Liga giants, Barcelona to secure the services of Gabon international forward, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang on a permanent basis, with a fee between £15m and £25m being discussed.

Thomas Tuchel is keen on reuniting with former Dortmund forward, who scored 79 goals under the German head coach during their time in the Germany top-tier.

“I enjoyed a lot working with [Aubameyang], it was a pleasure. This has nothing to do with the situation now, but some players stay your players because you were very, very close and Auba is one of those players,” Tuchel told reporters.

“We had a very close relationship. Always when he played here with Arsenal, it was straight away this close bond. They always stay your players in a way and Auba is one of those players.”

It is believed that the Blues are keen to include Marcos Alonso in a player-plus-cash deal for the Gabonese attacker, however, Barca are only interested in a straight cash offer amid their financial concerns.

Should the Blues fail in their attempts to sign former Arsenal skipper, Sport reports that they will contemplate a move for Atletico Madrid forward Alvaro Morata who has already played at Stamford Bridge.

Morata joined Chelsea from Serie A giants, Juventus for a fee of around £60m in the summer of 2017 and he spent two campaigns at Stamford Bridge founding back of the net 24 times in 72 games across all competitions.

Tottenham set to make January move for Chelsea 29-year-old star

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly planning to make a move for Chelsea forward Hakim Ziyech.

Spurs have added seven players to their team in the summer, however, they are still looking to make further additions before the transfer window ends on September 1.

Antonio Conte was previously keen to secure the services of AS Roma playmaker Nicolo Zaniolo, however, the player decided to stay in Serie A, which has led to Spurs considering alternatives.

According to Algemeen Dagblad, Tottenham have identified Ziyech as a possible transfer target, with the Moroccan currently out of favour at Stamford Bridge.

Ziyech was an unused substitute for the Blues first two Premier League appearances this term, while he featured for less than half an hour in the loss to Leeds United on Sunday.

The 29-year-old attacking midfielder has been rumoured with a return to Ajax, however, Spurs are prepared to begin talks about a possible move this week.

Meanwhile, RB Leipzig are reportedly interested in securing the services of Trevoh Chalobah from Chelsea.

The 23-year-old defender featured 31 times for the West London giants last term, however, he has fallen down the pecking order this term following the arrivals of Marc Cucurella and Kalidou Koulibaly.

Chelsea are not believed to allow Chalobah to leave on a permanent transfer, however, they are open to a loan exit for the 23-year-old centre-back.

Inter Milan are keen to bring the defender to San Siro, however, according to the Daily Mail they will face stiff competition from RB Leipzig who have joined the race to secure the services of Chalobah on loan.

Bundesliga giants in talks to agree deal for Chelsea 23-year-old star in January

RB Leipzig are reportedly interested in securing the services of Trevoh Chalobah from Chelsea.

The 23-year-old defender featured 31 times for the West London giants last term, however, he has fallen down the pecking order this term following the arrivals of Marc Cucurella and Kalidou Koulibaly.

Chelsea are not believed to allow Chalobah to leave on a permanent transfer, however, they are open to a loan exit for the 23-year-old centre-back.

Inter Milan are keen to bring the defender to San Siro, however, according to the Daily Mail they will face stiff competition from RB Leipzig who have joined the race to secure the services of Chalobah on loan.

After Lukas Klostermann was ruled out for several weeks with an ankle injury, RB Leipzig have turned their attention to the transfer market to increase the depth of their backline.

Die Roten Bullen are looking for a player that is comfortable in a three-man defence, and they believe that Chelsea 23-year-old star would be an ideal option.

However, the Bundesliga outfits could also face stiff competition from Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and AS Roma, who are all being rumours with Chalobah.