Liverpool star Joel Matip set to be sidelined for two months

Joel Matip will miss the remainder of Liverpool’s PL campaign due to a foot injury. The centre-half suffered the injury in the 0-0 draw with Everton at the Goodison Park outfit on June 21.

Matip has been sidelined since that match and is now set to be absent for Liverpool’s remaining seven PL fixtures.

‘This season I will be not back on the pitch but for next season, I hope I’m going to be quite early a direct help for the team,’ Joel told the club’s official website.

The 28-year-old star has made 13 appearances for the newly crowned PL champions this season. Joe Gomez replaced Matip in the club’s starting XI as Klopp’s side sealed a 4-0 win over Crystal Palace at home last Wednesday.

Meanwhile, in an open letter via the Liverpool Echo, Jurgen urged Liverpool fans to curb their celebrations following the mass gatherings in the city centre previous week.

‘What I did not love – and I have to say this – was the scenes that took place at the Pier Head on Friday,’ wrote the Liverpool boss.

‘I am a human being and your passion is also my passion but right now the most important thing is that we do not have these kind of public gatherings.

‘We owe it to the most vulnerable in our community, to the health workers who have given so much and whom we have applauded, and to the police and local authorities who help us as a club, not to do this.

‘Please celebrate but celebrate in a safe way and in private settings, whereby we do not risk spreading this awful disease further in our community.’

Bayern Munich always wanted to appoint Liverpool boss as their head coach

Bayern Munich chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says the German giants have had a long-standing interest in Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp, but the timing has never been right.

The 53-year-old tactician steered the Reds to their first Premier League title in 30 years and in doing so has established himself as one of the best head coaches in world football.

Bayern were on the lookout for a new manager earlier this season when they parted company with Niko Kovac, but the brilliant work of Hansi Flick in an interim role earned the German the job on a permanent basis.

And considering their high turnover of managers in recent years, Die Roten CEO conceded that Klopp could have previously been an option if the timing was better.

‘Whenever we were looking for a trainer, Jurgen Klopp was under contract,’ Rummenigge told a German outlet Bild.

‘One should also not forget, we have been blessed with top trainers in recent years, Jupp Heynckes, Pep Guardiola, Louis van Gaal and now also Hansi Flick.

‘If you are looking for a trainer, the timing must also be right. I always knew that Jurgen was one of the three or four best coaches in Europe.’

After being crowned PL champions last week, Liverpool supporters called for Jurgen to be given a lifetime contract and when asked if he’d commit the rest of his career to the Reds, the German said:

‘Well a present I can make to our supporters is that I don’t sign a lifetime contract because there will be a time when they don’t want to see me anymore.

‘But we still have good memories together, so that’s already a promise I won’t sign a lifetime contract. But I will be here for a while.’

Liverpool plan to hijack Napoli deal for 21-year-old centre-forward

Liverpool are interested in landing Lille striker Victor Osimhen this summer transfer market but will have to battle with Napoli for the talent.

A string of clubs have been mentioned with the 21-year-old in the latest months, including Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Inter Milan thanks to an impressive breakthrough campaign in Ligue 1.

The Nigeria international has scored 18 goals across all competitions this season, 13 of which have come in Ligue 1.

Reports suggest that Partenopei have already made a bid for him, but the Reds are set to compete with them for his signature, and according to French TV channel and newspaper L’Equipe, the asking price ‘shouldn’t be a problem.’

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp has already stated that it’ll be a relatively quiet summer for the club in the transfer window, thanks to the coronavirus.

‘It is about how influential the coronavirus crisis would be on all financial parts of life. It’s not only football, we all will pay a bill in the end,’ said Jurgen.

‘Nobody knows exactly how big the bill will be. Hopefully it is over soon but we should not start taking for granted it all will be fine.

‘We cannot spend millions and millions and millions because we want to or we think it is nice to do. We never wanted that.

‘[The reality is] COVID has influenced both sides with ins and outs. It’s not likely that it will be the most busy summer in the world.’

Serie A giants were reported to have bid around £70 million for Osimhen, but the actual figure is likely to be closer to half that.