Liverpool may back out of a swoop for Sporting CP left-back Nuno Mendes, should his buy-out clause exceed €45 million.
That’s according to A Bola, who state that the Reds remain one of the clubs keen on signing the exciting 18-year-old.
Mendes hasn’t yet agreed on a new deal at his current side, with Liverpool’s pursuit of the Portuguese ace seen as a reason for that.
While the full-back could be available for €45 million, Leoes want to up that release clause, and his wages, in order to fend off interest from others.
It is stated that the Anfield outfit could ‘back out’ if that proves to be the case.
Nuno is a great prospect, already making eight Liga NOS appearances this season, netting one goal for good measure.
To be a regular first-team player at such a young age speaks volumes, suggesting the club could be wise to make a move for him.
That being said, manager Jurgen Klopp already has Kostas Tsimikas and Andy Robertson to call upon at left-back, and Nuno would not be a cheap signing.
Given money could be spent on more pressing zones currently, such as centre-back, it makes sense for Liverpool’s interest in Nuno to cool for the time being.
Elsewhere, Liverpool have reportedly not yet made an offer for Ajax centre-back Perr Schuurs.
The 21-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to the Anfield outfit over the last couple of weeks, and a recent report stated that the Premier League champions had tabled a bid of £27m.
However, according to Voetbal Primeur, the Reds have only watched the defender this campaign and are yet to officially approach de Joden over a potential move.
Liverpool were one of a string of sides to miss out on Borussia Dortmund and England talent Jude Bellingham this summer, a representative with contacts close to the player has claimed.
Philipp Degen, the former Liverpool defender, now works as part of a group of representatives known as SBE Management, says that the Reds were among the clubs who registered an interest ahead of BVB sealing the €25m transfer.
Degen says he knows Mark Bellingham, the star’s father and representative, and has outlined the sheer number of teams who were interested in the 17-year-old.
Philipp told the ECHO on a special Blood Red podcast interview: “It is one of the biggest victories for Dortmund [to sign Bellingham] because the challenge to get this player was very, very high and they had to fight for months.
“I know his agent, and I am a very good friend of him, and I know which kind of fight it was – every top club in Europe wanted to sign him.
“Real, Barca, AC Milan, Inter, AS Roma, Bayern Munich, Dortmund – all the top teams in England, especially Man United – and when you see the fight for this boy, it was massive.”
Jude has so far avoided employing an entourage to work on his behalf, other than using his father to speak to sides, though plenty of agents would like to take him on as a client.
He made his senior England debut during the last international break, replacing Chelsea’s Mason Mount during the match against Ireland with 17 minutes to play.
Liverpool head coach Jurgen Klopp admits he wants contract rebel Georginio Wijnaldum to stay at the club.
The Dutchman entered the final year of his Anfield deal in the summer and is free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with sides outside of the UK as of January 1, should he wish.
Talks over an extension at Liverpool have not moved on at all this year, though Anfield sources insist all sides are relaxed about the situation.
Wijnadum has been linked with a transfer to Barcelona, where he has a huge admirer in his former national team head coach Ronald Koeman but remains a central part of Jurgen’s plans.
Indeed, no player has played more matches for the club so far this term. The 30-year-old has made 201 appearances across all competitions since joining from Newcastle back in 2016.
“I would be happy if he would stay here. I am pretty happy with Gini,” Jurgen told reporters.
“You can see that when you see most of the line-ups! He always played good, that’s why he played so many games.
“And he has played plenty of positions, different positions. He’s in a good moment, thank God! Long may it continue.
“There is nothing else to say about it. As long as nothing is decided, then everything is possible. I’m positive.”
The fact that Gini and his agents would be free to negotiate with other sides in a little over a month, though, presents something of an issue.
Liverpool have allowed stars to leave on free transfers before under Jurgen – Emre Can, Alberto Moreno, Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Lallana and Daniel Sturridge all did so.