Manchester City have reportedly ruled themselves out of making a swoop for Kalidou Koulibaly as the club cannot justify paying his £90 million meaning Manchester United could have a free hit at attempting to sign the Napoli star.
City have already purchased Nathan Ake from Bournemouth for £41 million but the Citizens still need another centre-back.
The Sunday Mirror claims they have put Nicolas Otamendi up for sale and are also set to lose talent Eric Garcia when his contract expires next year.
Pep Guardiola is looking at a host of targets but he will not make an approach for Kalidou, according to the Sunday Mirror.
That means the 20-times English champions could have a clear run for the Senegal international as manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a big fan.
The Red Devils are looking for a new defensive partner for defender Harry Maguire as there are questions over Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof.
Meantime, Sheffield United have allegedly been dealt a blow in their efforts to agree another one-year loan deal for Manchester United’s Dean Henderson.
The former England youth international has boosted his stock during two temporary stints at Bramall Lane, putting him in contention to become a future No1 at Old Trafford.
With current No1 David de Gea likely to keep hold of that role for the next season, it leaves the Red Devils in a position where they must find a compromise with the 23-year-old stopper.
The Sun claims that club officials are ready to hand Henderson a significant pay rise in order to ward off interest from other clubs, including Chelsea.
However, that would apparently put Sheffield United in a weaker position with regards to a third successive loan deal as the club demand that Henderson’s wages are paid in full.
Borussia Dortmund’s chief Michael Zorc has told Manchester United that Jadon Sancho won’t be sold this summer and claims the winger’s deal was secretly extended to 2023 last year.
Sancho is the Red Devils’ priority target for the summer and reports have stated that the 20-year-old has already agreed a £220,000 per week deal with the club.
BVB, however, are standing firm over Jadon’s €120 million (£107.8m) asking price and United have thus far been unable to reach an agreement with the Bundesliga side as they aim to fund the deal by paying in instalments.
They had set a deadline of August 10 for United to seal a deal for Sancho as that date marked the start of the pre-season training camp in Switzerland.
He joined up with his teammates for Monday’s training session in Bad Ragaz and Die Borussen are now telling United that a deal for the Englishman will not go through this summer.
‘We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season,’ Michael told reporters at the team’s training camp on Monday afternoon.
‘The decision is final. I think that answers all of the questions.’
Zorc also revealed that the club had extended Sancho’s contract by another year last year.
‘Last summer, we adjusted Jadon’s salary to match the development of his performances,’ said Michael.
‘So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then.’
Elsewhere, Manchester City are allegedly hopeful that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side will publicly rule themselves out of the race to bring in Kalidou Koulibaly from Serie A giants Napoli this summer.
Inter are keen on signing Manchester United centre-back Chris Smalling following his successful loan stint at Roma, claims Italian outlet Mediaset.
Smalling was a revelation for I Giallorossi during his season long-loan deal after being deemed surplus to requirements by the Red Devils head coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 12 months ago.
In spite of hinting at a first-team role for Smalling next term, Solskjaer has not ruled out a permanent sale for the star in order to top up his transfer kitty.
Roma cannot afford to sign Chris on a long-term deal and now risk missing out on the England international to Serie A rivals Inter.
With one of Milan Skriniar or Diego Godin set to leave Inter, Antonio Conte is on the market for a new centre-half.
Inter have already been priced out of a deal for the Fiorentina ace Nikola Milenkovic and have now earmarked Chris as a potential target.
The English side are reportedly holding out for in the region of £18 million for Smalling, whereas Fiorentina quoted Inter £36 million for Nikola.
Inter have a good relationship with United having signed Alexis Sanchez, Ashley Young and Romelu Lukaku from them in the past 12 months.
Meanwhile, Manchester United are allegedly contemplating an approach for Juventus attacker Douglas Costa.
The Old Lady are said to be prepared to sell the South American after Andrea Pirlo replaced Maurizio Sarri as the club’s manager.
Having made just seven starts and 17 substitute outings in the Italian top-flight and the Champions League during the most recent season.