Frank Lampard’s Chelsea are reportedly still keen on a summer deal for experienced forward Dries Mertens.
The 32-year-old’s current contract with Serie A side Napoli is due to expire at the end of June.
Chelsea were mentioned with Mertens during the January transfer market, but the deadline passed with the Belgian star still with his Italian club.
The player is due to become a free agent on June 30, though, and according to a report by Il Mattino, the west Londoners are still weighing up a move.
Mertens, who is also said to be attracting the attention of Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid, has netted 12 times and registered six assists in 29 games for Napoli during the 2019-20 campaign.
As it stands, the Premier League side will lose both Pedro and Willian on free transfers ahead of next campaign.
Meanwhile, Chelsea forward Olivier Giroud has confirmed that Tottenham Hotspur were interested in landing him during the January transfer window.
The Frenchman looked set to depart Stamford Bridge in search of more regular first-team football earlier in the summer, with Chelsea prepared to sanction an exit if the club were able to bring in a replacement.
However, Giroud was ultimately forced to remain with the Blues despite being eager to depart, and he revealed that Serie A side Inter Milan was his preferred destination after speaking with their boss Antonio Conte.
“In January, I saw myself far away from Chelsea. I saw six complicated months ahead of me. That’s why I had the desire to change scenery. I tried to leave in January. It was all done, but in the end Chelsea didn’t want to let me go,” Olivier told Telefoot.
“Everyone knows that Inter’s sporting project was the most interesting for me. Them aside, Lazio and Tottenham also looked at me. At one point, it was a question of where I wanted to play. I talked to Conte on the phone, he’s known me from when he took me to Chelsea: that was an advantage for me.”