Chelsea have continued their eye-catching summer spending spree by completing the signing of Rennes’s Edouard Mendy on a five-year deal.
The 28-year-old goalkeeper becomes the seventh new arrival at the club for a fee of £22 million and will provide significant competition for the Spain international Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Frank lost faith in the first-choice stopper last season and relied on veteran Willy Caballero during the latter stage of a disappointing season for Chelsea’s record £72 million signing.
Chelsea were mentioned with the likes of Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Atletico Madrid’s Jan Oblak but turned their attentions to a cheaper alternative, in part down to a lack of interest in Kepa.
Mendy has been capped eight times by Senegal since making his debut two years ago and signed for Rennes last summer from Reims. Speaking after the announcement, Chelsea chief Marina Granovskaia said:
‘As soon as Petr Cech and our technical team identified Edouard as the most suitable goalkeeper to complement our existing group, there was only one player we wanted to bring in.
‘Edouard arrives following a season of real success with Rennes, he is ambitious for more, and we welcome him to our club.’
In a message to Chelsea fans, Edouard said: ‘I am so excited to be joining Chelsea.
‘It’s a dream for me to be a part of this exciting squad and to work with Frank Lampard and all of his coaching staff.
‘I look forward to meeting my team-mates and can’t wait to get started.’
Chelsea have allegedly received a loan offer for goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga and the club will now need to decide whether they keep the £71m flop.
The Spaniard gifted forward Sadio Mane his and Liverpool’s second in the 2-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge last week.
The shot-stopper’s long-term future at the club is now in major doubt following the arrival of Senegal international Edouard Mendy.
Kepa was dropped by boss Frank Lampard at the end of last campaign for Willy Caballero but he was since reinstated into the side.
Arrizabalaga was then questioned for Leandro Trossard’s equaliser in the Blues’ 3-1 win against Brighton & Hove Albion but kept his place for the clash with the PL champions.
Now, it appears he has received a lifeline to potentially depart Stamford Bridge before the close of the market.
Football insider ExWHUemployee, who was the first to break the news of Edouard’s move to Chelsea, claims that the west London heavyweights have received a loan offer for Kepa.
He tweeted: “Chelsea news: A club from Italy has submitted a loan move for Kepa. Although it is not confirmed the club is thought to be Roma.”
It’d make little sense for Lampard to keep three shot-stoppers this season and the offer could be a chance for the Blues to raise more cash.
The club will need to offload some players if they are to continue spending before the October 5 deadline.
Chelsea’s board are open to proposals for Emerson Palmieri, Ross Barkley, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Antonio Rudiger.
Chelsea are open to proposals for Ross Barkley with Aston Villa interested in signing the midfielder, according to reports.
Ross has come off the bench in both of Chelsea’s PL games this season but was given 90 minutes in the 6-0 win against Barnsley in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday.
With Ruben Loftus-Cheek and N’Golo Kante back to full fitness, Ross faces increased competition for a place in Frank Lampard’s midfield.
According to a report from The Telegraph, Aston Villa manager Dean Smith wants to sign a new midfielder and is considering a swoop for the 26-year-old.
The report claims that the Blues are open to loaning out Barkley but are demanding that his £120,000 per week salary is covered in full.
However, The Athletic claim that Chelsea are open to offloading Ross on a permanent basis if they receive an acceptable sum.
Barkley was signed from Everton in a £15m deal back in 2018 and still has three years remaining on his contract with Chelsea.
Loftus-Cheek has also drawn interest from Aston Villa but Premier League rules would only allow the side to sign one player on loan from Chelsea.
The 24-year-old midfielder struggled to make an impact in the 3-1 win against Brighton last week and has failed to make Chelsea’s roster for the games against Liverpool and Barnsley.
‘I keep getting asked about the size of the squad,’ Frank said after Chelsea’s 6-0 win on Wednesday.
‘There might be movement, we know that, but nothing is concrete so don’t read too much into those selections at the minute.
‘It will have to be things which are right for the club and individuals and me and in terms of what happens in the next couple of weeks.’