French centre-forward not planning to quit Chelsea this summer

Chelsea forward Olivier Giroud has said that he still has at least two years left at the top level and would be “happy” to see those out with his current side.

The 33-year-old attacker looked destined to quit Stamford Bridge in January having struggled for senior team football during the first half of the campaign, but Olivier has since worked his way into Frank Lampard’s plans and played a key role in securing Champions League qualification for the Blues.

His form earned him a one-year contract extension a couple of months ago, and he is open to staying beyond the end of the 2020-21 term as he looks to emulate Germany’s all-time top-scorer Miroslav Klose.

“I still have at least a year of contract with Chelsea. If [I see out my career] at Chelsea, I’ll be happy. If not, another challenge will be present,” the Frenchman told L’Equipe.

“I can still play in a good championship for two years – I don’t set any limits for myself. I like to quote the story of Miroslav Klose, the former German international. In 2014 during his last World Cup he was 36 and stopped his career at 38.

“I’m not saying I’m going to do four more years in selection, but I remember a discussion I had with Arsene Wenger.

“He told me that he saw me playing well until 35 years old because, as I got older, my game would not be penalised since it is not based on speed.”

Olivier, who scored eight goals in his last 12 Premier League matches of the season, will be looking to help Chelsea to his fifth FA Cup title against former side Arsenal on Saturday.

Chelsea hold transfer talks with €36m South American star

Signing from Boca Juniors last year, Nahitan Nandez did not take long to impress at Cagliari under the Italian manager Walter Zenga, to the point where West Ham United wanted him in January.

Attempts were unsuccessfully made by the PL side as the Serie A side weren’t interested in selling just six months after signing the player, and a return to action from David Moyes’ side could take place this transfer window.

However, his entourage appears to have bigger and greater things planned for the player if possible, as teams like Chelsea and Arsenal have been approached about a possible transfer.

Corriere dello Sport are stating Nandez’s attorney is also working with Frank Lampard’s side and their fellow Premier League outfit ‘to figure out if there is room for negotiation’.

Whether that means Mikel Arteta and Frank Lampard, both looking to bolster their respective midfielders this summer, actively want Nahitan isn’t said, but if they are, there might not be a need for extensive negotiations.

That’s because the South American has a release clause of €36m in his contract, and whoever is able to pay it’d free the player.

However, Cagliari’s president, Tommaso Giulini, wants to keep the player beyond the current campaign to rebuild a competitive and ambitious team going forward.

Elsewhere, Chelsea star Kepa Arrizabalaga reportedly believes that he has played his last match for the club.

The world’s most expensive stopper was dropped for his side’s final PL game of the 2019-20 term against Wolverhampton Wanderers last weekend.

Willy Caballero is again expected to start Saturday’s FA Cup final against Arsenal, and according to The Sun, Arrizabalaga is resigned to never turning out for the Blues again.

Chelsea still eye Ajax No1 with Eredivisie club reduce asking price by €30m

For some time now, it’s seemed the Dutch media have hyped interest in goalkeeper Andre Onana beyond what it actually is.

Some of the biggest sides in European football have been touted with an interest, yet it’s often felt like the states were manufactured to push up the Ajax man’s perceived value.

De Telegraaf state there’s an army of teams all chasing Onana’s signature this summer. Those clubs are named as Frank Lampard’s side, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain.

According to the Dutch newspaper, prior to the coronavirus, Ajax wanted €50 million to allow Onana to move this summer. Now a fee of €30 million is considered more realistic.

That does not make a great deal of sense if Andre is really wanted by the European clubs mentioned, then slashing his asking price by 40 per cent would be unnecessary.

De Telegraaf say Barcelona can not pay the €30m, and that Chelsea ‘do not want to’ meet that fee yet, and would only sign Andre if Kepa Arrizabalaga leaves on loan or permanently.

De Telegraaf present Bayer Leverkusen as a serious variant, which seems likelier. It’s stated the Bundesliga outfit have offered €20 million plus bonuses, which isn’t considered high enough.

Meantime, Chelsea allegedly remain focused on landing Ben Chilwell from Leicester City, in spite of cheaper left-back alternatives being available.

England international Ben is Frank Lampard’s top target, but he has another four years to run on his deal and Leicester are holding out for a huge fee.

That has led to states that Chelsea may instead go for either Marc Cucurella of Getafe, Ajax’s Nicolas Tagliafico and Porto’s Alex Telles, each of whom are available for under £30 million.

According to Goal, however, the West London giants are still prioritising a move for Ben, even if it means paying in excess of £80m.