Footy Extras

Cardiff chief provides injury update on 23-year-old Liverpool loanee

Liverpool-owned attacker Harry Wilson has picked up a groin injury on loan at Championship club Cardiff City, manager Neil Harris has confirmed.

The 23-year-old star joined the Bluebirds on a temporary basis earlier in October, having seen his senior team chances at Liverpool become limited.

Wilson started in the Anfield outfit’s Carabao Cup defeat at home to Arsenal, before heading off to the Welsh side.

He scored in just his second appearance, against Jason Tindall’s Bournemouth, before suffering this injury setback.

Speaking to WalesOnline, Neil said he is hopeful that Wilson’s absence will not be too lengthy:

“Right at the end of training yesterday [Tuesday], just a hip flexor, his left groin area, tightened up.

“We are hopeful that there is no long term in it, we are hoping it’s a really short turnaround. I’m not sure if we’ll see him on the weekend, we will have to see when we are back in tomorrow and Friday.

“To lose him, he is a big blow because he started like a house on fire with us. So he’s not going to be long.

This is a blow for Harry, who had started life at Cardiff Cty so promisingly in his first few weeks there.

Now 23, the forward needs to settle and play regularly for a club – potentially the Bluebirds – hopefully making a permanent move there eventually.

It is hard to see a future for the Wales international at Liverpool, considering the wealth of attacking talent ahead of him.

If manager Jurgen Klopp truly rated the star enough to be a part of his plans, he’d already be featuring prominently, considering his age.

It may be that Harry ends up justifying playing for a PL club in the long-term – he did well at Bournemouth last term, scoring seven times in the first tier – but the EFL Championship looks his best bet for the time being.

Welsh star desperately wanted to leave Liverpool this transfer market

Liverpool attacker Harry Wilson feels Cardiff City are the right club for him as a loan club and has admitted he was really interested in leaving Anfield in order to clock regular game time.

The Welshman joined Championship club Cardiff City from Liverpool on a season-long loan on the final day of the domestic transfer market last week.

Reflecting on his decision to move out on loan for the season, Wilson has stressed the need for him to play first-team football, especially with the European Championship on the horizon.

Aware that game time was not guaranteed at Anfield, the 23-year-old star was keen to move elsewhere and found the Bluebirds to be the right fit for him.

Wilson feels they deserve to be playing in the Premier League and is desperate to help his current side earn promotion this season.

“I feel this season is a massive one for me“, Harry told Cardiff City TV.

“I knew that personally, I have to get the games and the minutes that I wanted. I felt, at Liverpool, I was not going to get that.

“I wouldn’t say I was desperate to get out, but I was really keen to get out and make sure that I racked up the minutes and the appearances that I wanted to.

“When I was sat down with my agent and spoke and discussed the teams that were in for me, we thought Cardiff would be a good fit.

“You look around the stadium here, the quality of players, they are a Premier League club, so I am desperate to play my part to get us back up there.“

Official: Liverpool winger to spend ongoing season at Cardiff City

Cardiff City have sealed the loan signing of Liverpool attacker Harry Wilson.

The Bluebirds have beaten off stiff competition from the likes of Swansea City, Derby County, Nottingham Forest and Norwich City to secure a deal to excite all City fans.

WalesOnline understands that Cardiff will pay Premier League champions Liverpool a loan fee, which could rise to £1.2m and will be paid in instalments, to secure the player’s services.

While it was initially thought the Bluebirds would cover all the player’s wages, it is now understood that Cardiff will pay only a proportion of the Wales international’s salary.

The deal really gathered pace when Cardiff City touched base with the Anfield outfit on Thursday, the day before the closing of the window, upon Wilson’s return from international duty with Wales.

Sources have indicated that both Bluebirds manager Neil Harris and chairman Mehmet Dalman were crucial in getting the deal over the line.

Liverpool discussed Wilson’s options with the player himself and his agent, but all parties were happy with what Cardiff put on the table.

Another big factor which might have perhaps slipped under the radar is how Liverpool viewed Marko Grujic’s loan to Cardiff City back in their promotion season.

Grujic signed for the back end of that 2017/18 campaign and endeared himself to the Bluebirds faithful for a string of top performances as Neil Warnock’s side navigated their way to Premier League promotion.

That is an ambition Wilson also holds and Liverpool believe he can have the same impact — if not more — as his Anfield contemporary Grujic.

Championship club given opportunity to sign Liverpool winger

Swansea City have allegedly been offered the chance to land Liverpool’s Harry Wilson on loan for the current campaign.

The Welshman is now back at Anfield after spending the 2019-20 term on loan at Bournemouth, where he contributed seven goals in 31 PL appearances for the relegated Cherries.

He has now been sent out on loan three campaigns in a row and was linked with a move away from the Reds in the most recent transfer window, where Harry boasts just one appearance in the EFL Cup this term.

According to The Sun, the 23-year-old star could now be set for his fourth consecutive season elsewhere as the Reds have offered Harry the chance to return to his native Wales with Swansea.

The report claims that the Reds were satisfied with Rhian Brewster’s loan spell at Swansea – with the English talent then proceeding to join Sheffield United in a £23.5 million deal – and Wilson could be in line for a similar fate.

However, the Swans are set to face stern competition for Wilson’s signature, as Norwich City, Cardiff City, Nottingham Forest and Derbi County are all understood to be in the running.

Meantime, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United are among five Premier League clubs allegedly considering a late move for Bournemouth star David Brooks.

The 23-year-old star missed the vast majority of last campaign through injury, being limited to only nine games as Bournemouth suffered relegation from the Premier League.

Brooks has nonetheless been mentioned with a move away from the Vitality Stadium throughout the summer, and top-flight sides still have until 5pm on Friday to strike a deal before the domestic window closes.

A British newspaper the Daily Mail reports that five Premier League outfits are monitoring the Wales international’s situation.

Liverpool still want to offload Welsh star for whom they rejected £12m proposal

Liverpool are planning to offload Harry Wilson in the January transfer window, the Daily Star reports.

The Star believes that manager Jurgen Klopp wanted the winger to quit the club permanently over the summer.

But the club decided to reject a £12 million offer from Burnley. The newspaper states that Sean Dyche’s side have now ended their interest.

Yet Liverpool’s management are still want to find a suitor before the market closes, the source reports.

They state that Celtic were keen on taking the Welsh international in the summer, but that the Hoops’ board only ever had a loan deal in mind.

The Glasgow Times claimed that a deadline-day move to Celtic also would have been unlikely due to Wilson’s wage demands.

Wilson currently has just under three years on his deal, meaning the Premier League giants remain in a healthy position when it comes to talks.

With Liverpool not managing to sell the player on during the summer, it’s not inconceivable that they’d lower the fee for his services.

It looks as though our best bet of bringing Harry to Parkhead was indeed a loan switch that involved Reds paying a healthy portion of his wages.

That does not look to be in their thinking as January approaches. The club reportedly want him off the wage bill.

He managed to rack up 24 direct goal contributions in 50 games for Derby under Frank Lampard two seasons ago.

He then managed 31 PL outings with Bournemouth last term, and already has 17 Wales caps to his name at only 23 years of age.

Liverpool still want to offload Welsh star for whom they rejected £12m bid

Liverpool are planning to offload Harry Wilson in the January transfer window, the Daily Star reports.

The Star believes that manager Jurgen Klopp wanted the winger to quit the club permanently over the summer.

But the club decided to reject a £12 million offer from Burnley. The newspaper states that Sean Dyche’s side have now ended their interest.

Yet Liverpool’s management are still want to find a suitor before the market closes, the source reports.

They state that Celtic were keen on taking the Welsh international in the summer, but that the Hoops’ board only ever had a loan deal in mind.

The Glasgow Times claimed that a deadline-day move to Celtic also would have been unlikely due to Wilson’s wage demands.

Wilson currently has just under three years on his deal, meaning the Premier League giants remain in a healthy position when it comes to talks.

With Liverpool not managing to sell the player on during the summer, it’s not inconceivable that they’d lower the fee for his services.

It looks as though our best bet of bringing Harry to Parkhead was indeed a loan switch that involved Reds paying a healthy portion of his wages.

That does not look to be in their thinking as January approaches. The club reportedly want him off the wage bill.

He managed to rack up 24 direct goal contributions in 50 games for Derby under Frank Lampard two seasons ago.

He then managed 31 PL outings with Bournemouth last term, and already has 17 Wales caps to his name at only 23 years of age.

Liverpool plan to part ways with out-of-favour duo in January

Liverpool are looking to shift Harry Wilson and Xherdan Shaqiri in January after seeing Marko Grujic leave on loan to Porto.

Jurgen Klopp wanted all three stars to leave on a permanent basis in the summer as he looked to trim his packed roster.

But Grujic was the only one to quit the club on Tuesday, signing for the Portuguese side until the end of the campaign.

The 24-year-old star has spent the last two years on loan at Hertha Berlin, impressing during his time in the German top-flight.

However, Klopp still does not look ready to use Grujic in his first-team, in spite of supporters fancying the midfielder to prove his worth.

The Serbian ace will still have a chance to fight for a spot in the club’s first-team when he returns next summer.

As for Xherdan, the Swiss star was left out of the Carabao Cup roster last week – and Jurgen admitted it was because an Anfield exit was being lined up.

“Some were not involved. It is the time of the year when some things happen in the background and you have to react. That is what we did.” he said.

But clearly no side fancied taking the forward on a permanent deal. Liverpool also want to sell Harry Wilson in January.

 

Burnley withdrew their interest over the summer transfer market after seeing a £12 million bid rejected.

But the Anfield outfit’s management are keen to find a potential suitor ahead of the winter market.

Wilson had also drawn interest from Celtic – but the Scottish side over had a loan move in mind this summer.

Premier League club nearing agreement for £20m Liverpool ace

Burnley aren’t far off meeting Liverpool’s valuation of attacker Harry Wilson, according to journalist Alan Nixon.

The Reds are prepared to let Wilson move on in the current transfer market following the player’s return to Anfield from his loan spell at Bournemouth last season.

Burnley are the PL side pushing hardest for Wilson, but they are unwilling to meet the £20m asking price the Merseyside giants have slapped on his head.

Talks between the two sides are continuing and it is reported that their respective valuations aren’t now far apart.

Progress though is slow and it is unclear if Burnley can get the capture of Wilson over the line.

The Wales international has been mentioned with a host of sides over the course of the transfer window.

He is surplus to requirements at Liverpool, despite impressing during his loan stint at Bournemouth last campaign.

Wilson made a total of 31 appearances in the Premier League for the Cherries last season, scoring goals against Aston Villa, Manchester City, Brighton, Tottenham Hotspur, Southampton and Newcastle United.

His seven strikes weren’t enough to help the Cherries avoid the drop though.

Elsewhere, Stan Collymore has told the Sunday People that the Reds would have the PL’s best centre-back pairing for years if they could sign reported target Kalidou Koulibaly.

“The idea of Kalidou Koulibaly partnering Virgil van Dijk in Liverpool’s central defence has me so excited that I reckon it could be the best pairing since Manchester United’s Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic,” the former Liverpool star told the Sunday People.

“It genuinely could be up there with the best partnerships there have ever been in the game and if Sadio Mane’s text messages to his compatriot have convinced him to sign for the Reds, then it’s game over for all their title rivals,”

Talent could stay at Liverpool due to disagreement about transfer sum

Liverpool star Harry Wilson’s proposed transfer to Burnley is in doubt as the Clarets are struggling to agree on a fee with the Anfield outfit, according to journalist Alan Nixon.

The Reds are looking to move at least a few of their out-of-favour players out before the transfer window closes and Harry appears to be among them.

Wilson, whose price tag of £20 million has put off potential suitors, has drawn interest from Sean Dyche’s Burnley.

The Turf Moor side tabled an initial bid of £12m, which could rise up to £16m after bonuses, in an attempt to sign him, but saw it snubbed by Liverpool.

Burnley have been stated to be working on getting a deal across the line for Harry, but the move is in serious doubt now because of disagreements over a transfer fee.

Dyche’s side have struggled to reach a total agreement with Liverpool over a fee for the signature of Wilson in spite of the Reds said to be willing to accept a fee lower than their valuation.

With a switch to Turf Moor now in doubt, it remains to be seen where the immediate future lies for the Welshman.

It is possible that the Reds will opt to keep him at the club if they do not receive an acceptable offer for the talented player, who spent last term on loan at Bournemouth.

In other news, Rhian Brewster has completed a deal to sign for Sheffield United on a permanent transfer, the Reds can confirm.

Liverpool ace remains target for Burnley with £12m bid already on the table

Burnley remain hopeful of sealing a deal to land Liverpool’s Harry Wilson before the transfer market closes on Monday, reports say.

Four years after his first appearance for Liverpool, Wilson got a second run out for the PL champions in starting alongside the likes of Mohamed Salah, Vigil Van Dijk and Diogo Jota.

Wilson enjoyed a successful stint on loan at Bournemouth last season and is seen as a perfect acquisition for the Clarets, but his presence in the Liverpool side has raised a few eyebrows.

Reports suggest the Clarets have made a £12 million offer for the player with an additional £4 million in add-ons, while Liverpool are asking for £15 million.

Burnley’s management are understood to have held further talks to try and get a reported deal over the line.

Meantime, Liverpool are allegedly in line to receive another windfall from La Liga giants Barcelona from the sale of Philippe Coutinho.

When the attacking midfielder departed Anfield in January 2018, Liverpool inserted a host of add-ons which could be activated at a later date.

At one stage this transfer window, it appeared that the Premier League giants would miss out on a portion of that deal as the Brazilian star was frequently linked with a transfer elsewhere.

However, according to The Mirror, the Reds are now likely to receive another £4.4 million from the Spanish giants later this season.

The 28-year-old is understood to be just 14 appearances away from reaching a set number of matches, potentially in time for the January transfer market.