Footy Extras

Liverpool against paying more than £60m for powerful defender

Liverpool are uninterested in landing Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly due to his £90m price tag, according to the latest reports.

The 29-year-old has established himself as one of the continent’s top centre-backs, attracting interest from the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis previously revealed that bids of less than £60 million for the Senegalese star would be immediately dismissed.

And reports appeared earlier this week that the Reds were trying to drive down the price by offering their fourth-choice centre-half Dejan Lovren as part of the deal.

However, Sky Sports state that spending more than £60 million on a player nearing the age of 30 is against the Reds’ transfer policy.

The Reds could still be prepared to let Croatian defender Lovren leave in the summer if they can find a suitable replacement. Liverpool icon John Barnes believes that while Koulibaly would be a great addition.

‘Koulibaly is a very good player and you’re looking at Joe Gomez coming through and he could help him, Koulibaly is already the finished article so if they get him that would be a good signing for them,’ John told BonusCodeBets.

In the meantime, Borussia Dortmund senior figure Hans-Joachim Watzke has admitted that Jadon Sancho could be sold in the summer, but he does not expect any teams to match his asking price.

“If Jadon approaches us and says he wants to leave no matter what – which has not happened so far – and a club wants to spend what we are asking for, we will discuss it,” Watzke he is quoted as saying by The Mirror. “But I don’t think a club will pay the fee we want.”

Liverpool will face battle in transfer race to land Wolves star

Top clubs will be queuing up to land Liverpool target Adama Traore this summer transfer window after his latest scintillating Wolves performance.

That is according to ex-Leeds United forward Noel Whelan, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs about the Spaniard who has “every attribute” you could want in a wide attacker.

Adama produced a man of the match display on Saturday to help the Wanderers get off to a winning start on the PL return.

Football Insider revealed in April that the Reds had set their sights on signing the former Barcelona ace this summer.

Whelan credited the lightening-fast attacker for a large portion of his side’s success this season.

“He has come on so much this season under Nuno. A player there that a lot of clubs want. He has every attribute now – end product, speed and intelligence,” Noel told Football Insider.

“He has become a high commodity player for Wolves whether he starts or comes off the bench. Traore is one of the main reasons Wolves have done so well this season.”

The attacker assisted the first for Raul Jimenez versus West Ham and was heavily involved in the second in spite of only playing the final half an hour at the London Stadium.

Traore has netted six goals and provided 11 assists in his 44 matches in all competitions this season.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have registered an interest in signing Marseille centre-half Boubacar Kamara this summer, with Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly looking more and more likely to sign for Manchester City according to a report from French outlet Le 10 Sport.

Liverpool remain interested in Serie A defender rated at £90m

Liverpool are allegedly keen to bring Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly to the Reds during this summer’s transfer window.

The speculation surrounding the 29-year-old star’s future continues to gather pace, with a host of teams thought to be interested in landing him ahead of the 2020-21 campaign.

Manchester City were understood to be at the head of the queue for the Senegal international, but according to Tuttomercato, Jurgen Klopp’s side are set to make an official move in the coming days.

The report states that Reds boss Jurgen Klopp wants Kalidou to partner Netherlands international Virgil van Dijk at the heart of his defence during the 2020-21 campaign.

The centre-back still has three years left to run on his deal at Stadio San Paolo but could depart as the Italian giants face missing out on UEFA Champions League qualification for next season.

Partenopei, who are currently sixth in the Serie A standings, are believed to still value the Senegalese at £90 million despite the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Meanwhile, Virgil van Dijk has said that his side have taken their standards “to a different level” this campaign after they were crowned PL champions.

“The year after we came really close with the Premier League and we were lucky enough to win the Champions League,” Virgil told BT Sport.

“This year, especially with the Premier League, we’ve taken it to a different level. Everyone can have their opinions, but we have been so consistent.

“We have been incredible. To be part of this group of players, this journey that I started when I joined the club, I’m very proud to call myself a Premier League winner.”

German giants believe they will keep 20-year-old Liverpool target

Borussia Dortmund are apparently becoming increasingly confident of keeping Liverpool target Jadon Sancho at the club beyond the end of this summer’s transfer market.

The 20-year-old ace has been in terrific form for BVB during the 2019-20 term, scoring 20 times and providing 20 assists in 44 games across all competitions.

Liverpool continue to be linked with the England international but Manchester United also in the mix and the Red Devils are allegedly preparing to offload four stars in order to sign the versatile attacker.

However, BVB’s head of the licensed player division Sebastian Kehl has played down talks that Sancho could be on his way out of Signal Iduna Park.

“We expect Jadon to play with BVB next season and we’re all very happy with the quality that he brings to our side and the difference that he can make,” Sebastian told Sport Buzzer before confirming that the club hadn’t yet received any offers.

Chelsea have also been mentioned with a player who has a contract at the Signal Iduna Park outfit until the end of the 2021-22 season.

In the meantime, Liverpool chairman Tom Werner thinks the club’s hunger for success won’t diminish in the wake of their maiden PL title win and is hopeful of “another period of sustained success”.

“We want to undersell and overdeliver. We hopefully would be ensuring another period of sustained success,” Tom told liverpoolfc.com when quizzed about the club’s next steps.

“The competition is fierce and I know our rivals are working tirelessly to upend us. But we’ve got such talent in place as Jurgen, as Michael (Edwards, sporting director) and the team on the pitch.

“One of the things that stuck with me this year was their hunger for winning. I don’t think that will be diminished.”

£36m-rated Dutchman closing in on contract renewal with Liverpool

Liverpool are set to seal their first new contract after winning the Premier League title by securing Georginio Wijnaldum to a bumper fresh deal.

Boss Jurgen Klopp has made it clear he regards a long-term contract for the Netherlands international as the German’s top priority in terms of cementing the historic triumph.

A Liverpool source has told Football Insider that negotiations are progressing well and all parties are confident of a total agreement after a recent breakthrough.

The 29-year-old is keen to end his career at the club where he has been a key player since his £25 million arrival from Newcastle United back in 2016.

He has sought and been given, assurances h’ll stay be a key figure in Klopp’s UEFA Champions League and Premier League-winning team.

One sticking point has been the length of the contract to replace his current agreement, which is due to expire in June of 2021. It is expected that Georginio will sign for at least four more years.

The all-around midfielder is not only a virtual ever-present in Jurgen’s side but he was also one of the seven Liverpool stars named in the top 30 of last year’s Ballon D’Or awards.

He has started 29 of their 31 PL games this season, including the masterful 4-0 demolition of fellow league outfit, Roy Hodgson’s Crystal Palace that came 24 hours before the title was finally sealed.

Wijnaldum has weighed in with five goals to take his tally to 18 from 179 matches for the club.

Frank McAvennie ‘would want to’ see Liverpool loanee signs for Rangers

Jurgen Klopp is likely to block attacker Rhian Brewster signing for Rangers next campaign due to his outstanding scoring form in the EFL Championship according to Frank McAvennie.

However, the former Celtic and West Ham man, speaking exclusively to Football Insider correspondent Dylan Childs, admits the Englishman would be “the best option” for Steven Gerrard if a deal can be sealed this summer.

Brewster is currently on loan with the Swans, where he will remain until the end of the 2019/20 season.

Football Insider revealed earlier in June that the Gers would have to wait until the end of the English campaign to find out if they could sign the England youth international.

McAvennie was adamant the young forward would score goals in the Scottish Premiership. “The strikers Rangers are talking about are very decent players,” Frank told Football Insider.

“Would Brewster come up to Rangers if he is scoring goals at Swansea? I do not think Klopp would want him to go up there unless he is doing it for Stevie Gerrard as a favour.

“The Championship is a good league so I do not know if he would want to come up here.

“He is a very good player and he would score goals at Rangers. That might be the best option for them if they can get him on loan.”

He has scored six goals in 13 appearances since joining Swansea City in January including a brace against Middlesborough earlier in June.

The highly-regarded English talent committed his long-term future to Liverpool in the summer of 2018.

Liverpool star could join Gladbach on one-year loan with option to buy for €18m

Borussia Monchengladbach are interested in loaning Liverpool midfielder Marko Grujic and could bank on their head coach’s good relationship with Jurgen Klopp to seal the deal.

Marko joined another German side in the shape of Hertha Berlin on loan in the summer of 2018 on a one-year loan deal, which was later renewed for another year.

The Serbian star has made an impact in Germany, drawing interest from a host of teams and now Gladbach are keen to sign him in the summer.

According to German outlet Bild, Gladbach are planning to offer to land Grujic on a season-long loan deal with an option to buy set at €18 million, which they would aim to trigger in the summer of 2021.

Gladbach manager Marco Rose and Liverpool head coach Klopp have a good relationship and the Bundesliga outfit, it is claimed, could use that to their advantage. Grujic’s deal with the Reds runs until the summer of 2023.

The 24-year old star has established himself as a senior team regular for Hertha Berlin, making 28 Bundesliga appearances this campaign, scoring four goals and recording one assist.

Elsewhere, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said that “a red jersey would look very good” on Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho.

The 20-year-old ace has enjoyed another impressive campaign for BVB, scoring 20 times and providing 20 assists in 44 matches in all competitions.

“A red jersey would look very good on Jadon Sancho. But I don’t think such a transfer will take place this summer. He is a very interesting player. If he moved to Liverpool, I would be the most surprised of all,” Jurgen told Bild.

Thiago pull out of contract talks with UCL giants as Liverpool declare interest

Thiago Alcantara has reportedly decided to back out of contract talks with Bayern Munich and the club are aware that Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool have registered a strong interest in the star, according to reports in Germany.

The 29-year-old midfielder is regarded as one of the most gifted midfielders in European football and is currently in his seventh campaign at the Allianz Arena, where Thiago has won seven back-to-back Bundesliga titles.

Die Roten held a meeting with Thiago on May 4 to talk over a potential extension for the Spaniard, with his current deal due to expire in June 2021, and it’s understood an agreement was close between the two sides.

However, Sport Bild states the ex-Barcelona man has had second thoughts and come to the realisation that this could be Alcantara’s last chance to join another top UCL club back home in Spain or potentially in England.

The report suggests Bayern have discussed the Reds’ interest, with Jurgen Klopp viewing Alcantara as a ‘highly technical and savvy player’ who the star feels could be the ‘quality’ addition his team requires in midfield.

Meantime, Liverpool are reportedly prepared to offer Sadio Mane and £199 million to Paris Saint-Germain for Kylian Mbappe.

In spite of continued speculation regarding the World Cup winner’s future, the financial implications of the COVID-19 pandemic will likely lead to any interested sides being unable to sign the Frenchman during the next window.

However, according to The Sun, the Reds are open to putting together a blockbuster proposal for a player widely considered as the most sought-after forward in the world behind Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

Liverpool sweating over future of 12-assists Senegal international

Liverpool are allegedly fearful that Sadio Mane could leave Anfield during this summer’s transfer window.

The 28-year-old star has again been in excellent form for the club during the 2019-20 campaign, netting 18 times and contributing 12 assists in 38 games in all competitions.

Sadio still has three years left to run on his contract at Liverpool, but according to The Sun, the Senegalese star has been offered a new long-term contract by the European champions.

The report states that the attacker is ‘yet to offer any indication’ that he will pen new terms with Liverpool, and manager Jurgen Klopp ‘is growing anxious over the situation’.

Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain are both understood to be closely monitoring developments as the clubs weigh up a move for the left-sided forward during this summer’s transfer market.

Mane has scored 77 times and grabbed 34 assists in 161 appearances for the Reds since signing from Southampton during the summer of 2016.

In other news, Liverpool are allegedly unlikely to make an approach for attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho, regardless of the asking price of the Barcelona star.

Since allowing the Brazilian to switch to Camp Nou in January 2018, Liverpool have progressed into one of the best clubs in Europe, winning last season’s UCL and moving to the brink of ending their wait for a PL title.

However, with Barcelona increasingly desperate to part company with the 28-year-old in a bid to cut costs, there has been speculation of a return to Anfield.

Despite Philippe now said to be available for £63 million, a British newspaper The Mirror suggests that the alleged development has not changed the Reds’ stance regarding the player.