Footy Extras

Man Utd to keep English attacker after receiving no offers

Manchester United misfit Jesse Lingard is set to stay at the club with the club planning on keeping the star beyond the end of the transfer window.

The Englishman’s time at the club appeared over after a disastrous season last term, where he managed just three goals across all competitions.

Lingard came through the club’s academy and is a popular member of the dressing room but off-field problems contributed to a poor campaign.

The 27-year-old was left out of United’s 18-man roster to face Crystal Palace last Saturday and he’s been linked with a transfer to Tottenham, which would see him reunite with former head coach Jose Mourinho.

However, though United were once ready to listen to offers for Lingard, it appears that the ship has sailed on selling the midfielder with the Daily Mail reporting that he is set to stay at the club.

It could be that the board are attempting to save face after failing to attract a suitable proposal for Lingard, despite interest from the likes of AC Milan in the latest months.

United had been willing to part with the player, particularly as the club need to raise funds to have any chance of signing £108million-rated Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho.

United remain confident of signing at least one new player in the remaining time of the window, though a move for a left-back appears more likely than the arrival of a right wide attacker.

Porto ace Alex Telles is interested in a move to the club but United are haggling with the Portuguese side over their £23 million asking price.

Man Utd dealt blow in chase for ball-playing Bundesliga defender

Dayot Upamecano has poured cold water on speculations that he could be set for a transfer to Manchester United and insists he remains fully ‘focused’ on playing for RB Leipzig for the time being.

United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is keen to bring in a centre-back with pace to make up for Harry Maguire’s lack of mobility and has allegedly identified Upamecano as his priority target in this position.

The 21-year-old ace is regarded as one of the finest young centre-halves in European football and his performances in last season’s UCL, most notably his outstanding display versus Atletico Madrid, made sides across the continent sit up and take notice.

And despite Dayot putting pen to paper on a three-year extension with Die Roten Bullen in July, the Frenchman’s camp were given permission to talk to rival clubs over a possible departure from the Bundesliga side.

However, in a TV interview with Telefoot’s Culture Foot programme this week, Dayot appeared to commit his short-term future to Leipzig in spite of strong interest from Europe’s elite.

‘For the moment I am with Leipzig but it is true that I was able to discuss with certain clubs,’ Upamecano said.

‘As I said, for now I am focused on Leipzig and I will continue to play for Leipzig and then we’ll see. You never know what can happen in a football season.’

In other news, Porto and Brazil defender Alex Telles is pushing for a move to Manchester United, according to the latest reports.

PL rivals snubbed Man Utd approach for £80m man earlier in the summer

Everton allegedly fended off interest from Manchester United in forward Dominic Calvert-Lewin earlier in the summer.

While the Red Devils have been strongly linked with an approach for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho, they have long-term ambitions to land a new player for the middle of their attack.

According to a recent report from a British newspaper The Sun, that resulted in head coach Ole Gunnar Solskjaer identifying Calvert-Lewin as a potential addition ahead of the new season.

However, the report states that the Toffees have placed an £80 million price tag on the 23-year-old, who has a deal at Goodison Park until the end of the 2024-25 term, a stance which quickly led to the Red Devils looking elsewhere.

The Englishman has contributed 28 goals from 116 top-flight appearances for Everton, four of which have been scored in the most recent fixtures against Tottenham Hotspur and West Bromwich Albion.

Meantime, teenage forward Ansu Fati has officially signed a fresh long-term contract with Barcelona, which includes an exit clause of €400m (£367m).

The 17-year-old ace enjoyed a breakthrough 2019-20 season at the Camp Nou outfit, scoring eight times and registering one assist in 33 games for the Catalan giants.

Earlier this summer, it was claimed that Manchester United were interested in the teenager and would be ready to pay a substantial fee to bring him to Old Trafford.

However, the talk surrounding the talent’s future has now ended as he has penned a new contract until June 2024.

31-year-old Serie A winger more likely to join Man Utd than PSG

Ivan Perisic is still without a club for next campaign, despite his performances for Bayern Munich during the last season.

The quadruple winners had the option to make his signing permanent but did not want to pay the fee Inter Milan were asking for.

Manchester United have been mentioned repeatedly, following Jose Mourinho’s efforts to land the Croatian when the manager was in charge at Old Trafford.

A German source FussballTransfers have reported that PSG sporting director Leonardo has personally asked about loaning the star from Inter.

However, Manchester United remains the ‘hottest’ variant and it’s claimed talks have been ongoing with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s outfit for weeks.

FT dismiss interest from any Bundesliga sides, and they say Perisic sees his future somewhere else. That would suggest the information is coming from a source close to the forward.

Elsewhere, Roma are allegedly preparing to launch a second offer for Manchester United centre-half Chris Smalling after seeing their first bid of £11m turned down.

Smalling excelled during a loan stint at Roma last season, and the Italian giants have said on a number of occasions that it is keen to sign the Englishman on a permanent deal.

The 30-year-old star is back with United, but he has been left out of the roster for their first two matches of the 2020-21 campaign versus Crystal Palace and Luton Town as the reported transfer speculation continues to gather pace.

According to The Guardian, I Giallorossi have already had an £11m bid snubbed but are preparing to launch a second offer for a player rated at £18m by the 20-time English champions.

Man Utd face competition in pursuit of Swansea centre-half

West Ham United boss David Moyes is allegedly ready to battle old club Manchester United for Swansea defender Joe Rodon.

The Guardian states Moyes is keen on adding a new centre-half to his current squad before deadline day and ready to beat the Red Devils to his signature.

He has already failed with three offers for Burnley ace James Tarkowski and David is now thought to be targeting Wales international Joe.

The 22-year-old Swansea ace has impressed since his return from injury and it’s believed Manchester United are keeping tabs on his development.

However, the Hammers are now thought to be in pole position and they are also monitoring Monaco’s Djibril Sidibe, as well as Arsenal’s Calum Chambers.

Rodon has made 49 appearances for the Swans after starting his professional career with the side.

But he could be tempted by a transfer to the Premier League after so far only featuring in the EFL Championship with Swansea.

However, Rodon’s head coach Steve Cooper hopes he’ll remain totally focused on building up his match fitness.

Steve said: “For Joe’s progression, he needs a long spell in the team. It’s not like he’s an older player that needs managing.

“He’s been unlucky with injuries. If you talk to him he’ll tell you he feels stronger and fitter. He just needs a bit of luck.”

In the meantime, Liga NOS giants Porto’s attacking-minded defender Alex Telles is reportedly pushing for a move to Manchester United.

United are said to be locked in negotiations with Porto over the 27-year-old, who has allegedly already agreed to terms on a five-year deal at Old Trafford.

Man Utd holding transfer negotiations to take Barcelona No.11 on loan

Manchester United have reportedly opened talks with Ronald Koeman’s Barcelona to secure a season-long loan deal for winger Ousmane Dembele.

Borussia Dortmund appear to have ruled out a swoop for United’s first-choice attacking target, Jadon Sancho this transfer window and the PL club have been forced to scour the market for alternatives in spite of agreeing to personal terms with the England forward.

Dembele has struggled for form and fitness since swapping BVB for the Camp Nou outfit back in 2017 and the Red Devils have identified the star as a possible back-up option to Jadon with just less than two weeks remaining of the summer transfer market.

According to Duncan Castles of Record Sport, senior Red Devils officials, including executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, have begun a dialogue with Blaugrana to gauge Dembele’s potential availability.

The report states Barca’s hierarchy are open to sanctioning a temporary move for the Frenchman before next month’s transfer deadline – but only if an obligatory purchase variant is included in their agreement.

The La Liga outfit’s management are demanding a sum of €100 million (£92 million) from clubs wanting to sign Ousmane outright this summer.

He has struggled for form and fitness across a frustrating three-year stay in Catalonia and has so far failed to live up to his hefty £135 million transfer fee.

But the France international is determined to fight for his place under new boss Ronald Koeman and would prefer to remain in Spain as it stands.

In-demand Bundesliga central defender remains target for Man Utd

Manchester United are set to rekindle their interest in RB Leipzig’s Dayot Upamecano in the coming days, according to a report by the Telegraph.

The club are desperate to add some pace and steel to their defence following their surprise opening day defeat to Crystal Palace in the PL.

Dayot is highly touted as one of the best young centre-backs in the Bundesliga and could be targeted before the transfer market closes on October 5.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s outfit were heavily criticised for the 3-1 loss to Crystal Palace last week. Victor Lindelof gave away the penalty which led to the Eagles doubling their lead and was then easily shrugged aside as ex-United man Wilfred Zaha completed his hat-trick to seal a 3-1 win in the second half.

Victor has been an inconsistent presence in side’s backline since joining from Benfica back in 2017 and has frequently lost his place in the team to team-mate Eric Bailly – another player not fully trusted by the boss and fans.

Harry Maguire, the Red Devils’ captain and the only current centre-half guaranteed a place in the starting eleven, lacks pace and Dayot is seen as the potential solution to that problem.

The France international is one of the quickest defenders in world football and has been a rock at the heart of Die Roten Bullen’s defence since joining from sister-club RB Salzburg three years ago.

It is believed an official offer in the region of £50 million would be required to lure him to Premier League.

Man Utd No.1 transfer target ‘will stay’ at Borussia Dortmund

Borussia Dortmund chief Sebastian Kehl has reaffirmed that Manchester United-linked forward Jadon Sancho will not be sold during the current transfer market.

The England international’s long-term future has been the talk of the summer amid talk surrounding a potential move to United, although Sebastian’s colleague Michael Zorc previously insisted that Jadon would be staying put at the Westfalenstadion.

United have still been attempting to negotiate a deal, but the club’s hopes of landing the former Manchester City ace have dwindled even further following a statement released by Sebastian.

The statement read: “He is our player – and he will stay. It was an important statement from the club because we have a certain responsibility.”

The Red Devils are said to have identified a number of alternatives to Jadon, who already has one assist to his name in the new Bundesliga season as BVB ran out 3-0 winners versus Borussia Monchengladbach at the weekend.

One of those alternatives is rumoured to be Juventus attacker Douglas Costa, although a recent report stated that Wolverhampton Wanderers are also keen on a deal for the Brazilian.

Meantime, Manchester United have been put on alert as Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar is the subject of £55m bid from Tottenham Hotspur during this summer’s transfer window.

Skriniar fell down the pecking order at the club in the latter stages of last term and is no longer considered to be indispensable for Antonio Conte’s side.

The Red Devils have previously been linked with the Slovakian ace, but Spurs appear to be the English side showing the strongest interest at this stage.