Footy Extras

Klinsmann recommended his former club to land Arsenal playmaker last month

Jurgen Klinsmann managed Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin for less than 80 days before stepping down from as their manager on February 11th.

The German outfit made four new additions to their roster in the winter market and the former Germany chief publicly praised Hertha general manager Michael Preetz for his efforts signing new players for the club.

Kicker now states Klinsmann suggested Hertha to sign Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil and Lukas Podolski.

Lukas was available on a free transfer and he ended up signing for Turkish side Antalyaspor in January.

Out of the four acquisitions Hertha made last month, only Santiago Ascacibar was approved by Jurgen. He was disappointed his former employer failed to land the players he wanted, which included the Gunners midfielder.

Kicker explain Jurgen’s wishes caused ‘controversy behind the scenes’ because of their ‘sense and affordability’ and Sport1, who name the German outlet as the source of their story, add the side would not have met the Arsenal star’s salary demands.

It’s to be noted Kicker don’t specify if the GUnners or Ozil were ready for the transfer in the winter market, as the star has found himself playing regularly under manager Mikel Arteta since the Spaniard took over from Unai Emery.

Meantime, Ray Parlour feels that Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette should be getting the nod over youngster Eddie Nketiah at this stage of the term.

Speaking to talkSPORT, Ray said: “Eddie struggled first half, holding the ball up, which is what Lacazette does so well. He brings other people into play.

“Second half he was better and had a couple of opportunities for himself. That’s where managers have to make big decisions, but at least he’s showing he will give the youngsters a go.”

Antero Henrique reportedly on verge of joining Man Utd

Manchester United are in advanced negotiations to appoint either Ralf Rangnick or Antero Henrique as technical director at Old Trafford.

Regardless of who is appointed, chief Ed Woodward will still hold control of the club’s signings in the transfer window.

According to the Independent, a deal with Antero is close to being agreed.

The experienced left his role as sporting director at Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain last summer and has been out of work since.

During his time with the Ligue 1 club, Henrique oversaw the signings of Neymar and Kylian Mbappe and is understood to have been a big factor in Mbappe opting to transfer to Paris.

In spite of this, United chief Woodward is said to have the final say on any transfer deals. If a deal for him can’t be completed, United will turn their attention to Ralf.

The current RB Head of Sport is keen for a move to the PL and is the preferred candidate for some senior figures at the Red Devils.

Rangnick left his coaching role at RB Leipzig this summer after failing to take the German side past the Europa League group stage with his compatriot Julian Nagelsmann replacing him.

The 61-year-old has an impressive history of developing youngsters and is credited for Timo Werner, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino’s progression.

United boosted their chances of UCL qualification with a 2-0 win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Monday.

Anthony Martial’s glancing header put his side ahead just before half-time before defender Harry Maguire doubled the advantage in a match full of VAR controversy.

Chelsea considering ex-Barcelona left-back as potential summer signing

Chelsea and Manchester City are chasing Everton left-back Lucas Digne as both sides look to solve their left-sided defensive problems this summer.

Digne joined the Toffees in the summer of 2018 from Barcelona and he impressed during his first campaign at the club, sharing the club’s award of the Player of the Season with the departed Idrissa Gueye.

The Frenchman has continued to shine this season, starting 25 of the Toffees’ opening 26 league games.

In total, he has featured in 29 matches across all competitions in 2019/20, scoring once, while he has also provided an impressive six assists.

Digne’s continued fine form has seen him attract attention. A source has told 90min that PL giants ​Chelsea and ​Manchester City have been checking on the defender and the Toffees’ resolve could be tested this summer.

While both the west London outfit and the Citizens are keen on ​Leicester City’s Ben Chilwell – ​who could cost as much as £100 million- they are also looking somewhere esle at secondary targets.

As a result of his fine form, both outfits’ scouting teams have identified Digne as another option. Any deal will not come cheap either, however. ​

The Toffees paid around £18 million for his services, but they would demand more than double that figure for the star.

​UEFA confirmed last week evening that Citizens have been banned from the UCL for the next two seasons over FFP breaches, while they have also been fined €30 million (£25m). As a result, this may impact their transfer plans.

In spite of City and Chelsea’s interest in Digne, a summer move for Ben is certainly still on the cards.

European giants plotting summer deal for Arsenal target Ben Godfrey

Tottenham Hotspur could reportedly make it a double raid on Norwich City this summer transfer window – with a move for Arsenal-linked Ben Godfrey.

Jose Mourinho is already intent in bringing defender Max Aarons to White Hart Lane this summer in a deal potentially worth around £30m.

But Spurs have also watched the promising 22-year-old Ben several times this season, and are plotting a swoop for the central defender, who can also play as a holding midfielder.

The problem could though be that the Canaries value Ben at around £50 million – but Tottenham are prepared to give Jose money this summer as the begins the reshaping of his side with a defensive shake up.

Arsenal are also keen on the player, who has made 18 appearances for his side this season, as are Lyon and Borussia Dortmund.

Norwich purchased Godfrey from York in 2016, and the National League North Club would be entitled to 10% of any deal struggling the Canaries.

Meanwhile, Liverpool are reportedly interested in landing Arsenal pair Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka during the future transfer windows.

As well as being 25 points clear at the top of the PL table, Liverpool are already well stocked for variants with regards to youth talent.

However, according to Football Insider, Jurgen Klopp and the Reds’ recruitment team are keen on two of the Gunners’ top prospects.

Eighteen-year-old Gabriel has already established himself as an important player with Arsenal, contributing 10 goals from 23 appearances across all competitions.

The same can be said of academy product Saka, although the left-sided talent has less than 18 months remaining on his current deal.

Tottenham readying surprise move for on-loan Man Utd centre-half

Tottenham are reportedly keen on signing Manchester United-owned central defender Chris Smalling.

The 30-year-old star has had a pretty good campaign with Roma so far. Chris has featured in 24 matches for I Giallorossi, scoring two goals against Brescia and Udinese while providing an assist.

According to Italian outlet Corriere Dello Sport, Tottenham and Everton are both interested in landing the centre-back and have had interactions with his entourage and Manchester United.

This report also claims that the club have set his asking price at €20 million.

He has impressed for Roma during his loan spell thus far and it might keep him in contention for a place in England’s roster for the Euros.

The Serie A outfit themselves may want to land him on a permanent basis in the summer.

Spurs might be looking for some defensive reinforcements this summer especially if Jan Vertonghen leaves.

Chris would be a decent addition to Jose Mourinho’s squad and there is every chance of him getting a place in the playing XI alongside either of Davinson Sanchez or Toby Alderweireld.

Meantime, United could reportedly have to pay as much as £80 million for Jack Grealish in the summer if Aston Villa avoid relegation from the PL.

The 24-year-old star, who has scored nine times and grabbed eight assists in 28 appearances at club level this term, is thought to be United’s leading target ahead of this summer’s transfer market.

However, according to The Athletic, the club could have to come up with an offer of £80 million for the Englishman should Dean Smith’s side manage to stay in the PL.

Liverpool boss personally scouts Werder Bremen No.7 forward

Liverpool head coach Jurgen Klopp has his sights set on Bundesliga winger Milot Rashica, according to the latest reports.

The Kosovo international, who could be available on the cheap with an exit clause of just £31.5m, has scored 10 goals across all competitions for relegation candidates Werder Bremen.

German newspaper BILD report that Champions League winner Jurgen has been to scout Rashica on multiple occasions.

The 23-year-old star can play on the wing, or as a centre-forward, and looks set to depart the club at the end of this season, who are five points from safety in the country’s first division.

Bremen’s manager Frank Baumann told a German outlet: ‘Of course there are a few prospects for a player like Milot after the achievements of the past few years.

‘So far we haven’t negotiated with any club. It is not certain that Milot will leave us in the summer. But I can’t rule it out.’

Milot has been one of the Bundesliga’s star players this season, with seven goals and three assists in 18 matches.

Liverpool are also keeping a keen eye on the availability of Red Bull Leipzig’s lethal striker Timo Werner.

The German international has a reported buy-out clause of £60m, which the Premier League leaders may need to trigger before it expires in April.

Jurgen Klopp might place extra emphasis on bolstering his side’s attack, after bemoaning their performance in the final third during the 1-0 loss to Atletico Madrid in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday night.